Online education can develop new areas of knowledge and expand career options. With access to courses from any connection to the Internet, anyone with a computer, tablet, or smartphone can take courses any time of day or night.
Best Degrees Online
If looking for a chance at a better job, one can investigate fields that have an unfilled demand. Another approach is career advancement in an existing line of work; online advanced degrees can be tickets to brighter futures. Master’s degrees in many fields can make a big difference for advancement. They include accounting, business administration, social work, and teaching.
In western economies there is a common thread, it appears that jobs are disappearing. Most accept that businesses move to areas with low wages, but technology and automation take millions of jobs that were performed by people. Microbusiness and entrepreneurship are means of getting work by being an employer.
Some Top MBA Degree Programs
While not an exhaustive list, this will highlight some of the outstanding online degree programs recognized as among the best in their respective categories. Three leading online MBA programs are
• The Kelley School, Indiana University-Bloomington known for its emphasis on innovation and entrepreneurship; offers internship opportunities in the business world for clinical programs.
• The University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, the Kenan-Flagler school; and
• Temple University, Philadelphia Pa, the Fox School.
Some Outstanding Career Education Fields
• Criminal Justice is a field of study that supports a lot of career choices in police work and administration of justice. These fields include prisons and jail systems, state. local, and federal criminal courts, and a growing field of private firms involved in many aspects of criminal systems.
• Cybersecurity is a growing field as more medical records, shopping, economic activity, and personal information go online. The increase attracts crime and intrusions. There is a growing need for people with skills and knowledge in this field. Some will develop sophisticated software and building walls of protection, others will be investigators tracking electronic leads. Overall, corporations will likely seek far more qualified people than they will find in the near future.
• Information Technology degrees and courses that improve knowledge and ability to use IT can provide job options and expand career choices in a number of ways. IT is a knowledge base in demand by corporate employers that also use online training to great advantage.
Old School Skills
In a time when young people spend up to nine hours per day on digital media and software, there has been a widespread disconnection from basic skills and traditional tools. The result is that there are fewer people who can do the things we all need to have done. We have lost the ability to do things like installing carpeting, a new wood floor, or a ceiling fan. We have lost the common sense ways for fixing some basic wiring, building a custom bookcase, or painting a house. The list goes on for normal do-it-yourself repairs and projects, and for which the average person must hire someone and pay a fee. In the world of fees for services, it is better to receive than to give.
Fees for Local Services
Old school skills for fixing, repairing, and building simple things have a new place in business; they are a base for a viable contracting micro-business. Tools and handy work skill sets are in demand. Consumers pay very high prices to get simple things done by big box companies and local firms.
The New Education Model
There is a new player in the education field and while it might be a blip on the screen, and it might presage a tidal shift. The per-course menu is offered by some new education providers like Coursera and Udemy. They contract with distinguished teachers and offer courses on per-course fee basis. This model could fade but it could also replace traditional colleges and schools as people simply choose the knowledge they want and pay for it. It is corporate style education not focused on degrees. Students will have certified knowledge areas rather than credentials. This flexible model enables concentrations in the very latest offerings, which could be a significant advantage in the job market.